Sunday, December 20, 2009

So this is Christmas...

So, this is Christmas.

This is the first time that this line has actually tugged on my heart strings. I've heard the song a million times and even poked fun of it in parody to make people laugh. But, this year is different. This year, I see, not just us, but many people reaching into their pockets to purchase gifts for their children, and pulling out nada. No money for gifts or very little money for gifts.

... and then in the background I hear that song... 'So this is Christmas' ... and that one line has a completely different meaning to me this year. It's almost cynicism. It almost fits well with a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. The irony is that we want to give. We want to pay our bills. We want to work. We want to do many things that are selfless, but can't afford to even keep our own electricity on.

So what do we do this year? I don't mean, how do we get a job, or pay the bills, or buy that Christmas turkey; I mean, how do we give this year to let others know that they are not alone? Some of us can't even afford stamps to go on envelopes; or better yet, the $8 dollar box of lame old Christmas Cards that were designed 10 years ago that should have been placed on sale, but weren't. How do we share Christmas this year?

Okay, so I'm not gonna get all Jeezy Creezy on everyone today, but I do want you all to know that I am a Christian (a unique one, mind you) but a Christian nonetheless. As an example of how we can share Christmas with everyone, I look at the stories of Jesus. Not the miracles and marvels either. But the man Jesus. The guy that was in human form for the short 30 years he walked this earth. The stories are pretty simple too. He just loved. He didn't care what you believed, he didn't care what bad things you had done. He just said, 'Hey man, its cool. Just know that someone cares.'

Yeah, this is the example I want to use this year. I don't have anything to give anyone. I wish I did. God knows I'd send out a slew of Christmas Cards to everyone I know and buy turkeys for the countless number of people that I know that can't afford a big dinner this year. I would pay their bills so they could watch 'Frosty the Snowman' and 'The Santa Clause'. But I can't.

What can I do? What can we do?

If you are reading this. You at least have Internet. This means that you can go down the list of your Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and whatever other social community blog, forum or bbc you belong to and take 1 full day of doing nothing but letting people know how much you appreciate them.

No, don't give me this crap about I don't have time. If you are in the position that most of us are in, time is the one thing you DO have plenty of. Remember time is money. If you could take your time and convert it into money, you'd be buying Christmas cards instead. So just do this. Take a day and let everyone know how much you love them. Let everyone know that they aren't alone. Let them know that it might not be much, but you do have the time to let them know that you love them and appreciate them. This is a gift that they will take with them all the way to the end. The day that you were broke and took the time to tell them that you loved them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Share it if you want. Debate me about Jesus if you want. But whatever you do, take the time to spread a little love this week. It's a lot more important than think.

So, THIS is Christmas.

RAWK!

4 comments:

Charli Girl said...

Brian, BEAUTIFULLY SAID! I think many of us feel this way, but you took the time to say it- out loud. It's so easy to forget to just make a quick phone call, or write a simple email saying, "Hey, I appreciate & care about you." It's also easy to loose focus on what REALLY matters. Support from those around us through thick & thin- THAT is what counts at the end of the day. THAT is what gets us through the hard times. Better days are ahead for you my friend. Just know that no matter your current circumstance, those of us who are fortunate to know you are rich in friendship! Thank you for being YOU! :)
Blessings! ~ Charli

Amber said...

you have no idea how someone like me needs to hear this, this year. Just knowing someone out there cares and thinks of me is more than i could want. I agree with Charli, beautifully said and happy holidays to you and the family. It's all about the love.
-Amber

Unknown said...

I appreciate you, Brian, for making me laugh when I want to cry...and for understanding that crying is sometimes the right thing.
Just tonight I aasked the Kid "Do you know what Christmas is about?" and he said "Celebrating the birth of Jesus with your family and friends?"...
so I did something right anyway.
I appreciate you and AM for all you do and all you are...and all my Para-Pals for accepting my son and I as we are.
Merry Christmas. You are loved.

Unknown said...

Well Said, I was lucky this year and was able to buy gifts for family and friends... but just barely.

Then I read something like this and it makes me think about how fortunate I was to be able to do that while So many were and are not able to.

Last year was really bad for me personally... I lost my job December 13th thats right my birthday. No money no Job nothing. I didnt quit though and I didnt get fired no I was one of the many people that got layed off. However, I have a family friend more like my brother then anything else... he paid my bills for me so that I could afford a few gifts for my nieces and my mom... Ment a lot to me. I was able to buy gifts for my loved ones because he cared enough to help me out. Of course my pride was a little hurt but hey it happens.

Well guess what.. This year was his turn to get the turn of bad luck. I was able to return the favor not because he did it for me last year. But because I could help and I had the ability to do so. So I did. We invited his family over for Christmas and we are cooking a big dinner. However this year there is a suprize under the tree. There are gifts for his family we rounded up enough to buy the kids some gifts and 500 in grocries.

I think what you said is so true. That this year sucks but every year sucks for someone. The little bit we can do to help someone means more then material things. Thanks for reminding us all that Christmas Mean so much more then the generalized assumption of what it means.

Christmas means love, laughter and happy endings for all our loved ones. I just want to say to all my paranormal people out there that I apprciate you all and what you do. I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Post a Comment